Monday, June 16, 2014

Oh, Pool of Blue Sky

I've known Nurse Gina my entire life.  Ok, so maybe I didn't actually meet her at birth, but our parents were friends so I have very early memories of her.  She was always cool to me.  When I was in elementary school, she was in high school and in the marching band.  The marching band came to our school to perform and I was so envious.  It looked like so much fun.

Gina graduated and moved on.  I heard she became a nurse.  I don't think I saw her for 20 years.  I ran into her once at a football game.  Then, Facebook reconnected us. I learned that she is a nurse AND she works for Medflight.  As luck would have it, she's sometimes stationed at the airport closest to my home.

She invited us to visit the airport to check out the Medflight helicopter. We tried last summer, but there was an emergency and the unit was called away.  We arrived at the airport in time to watch the helicopter take flight.  Just that experience was pretty cool.

Today, we actually got to see the helicopter.  Gina was awesome.  She took time to show things to the children and explained how equipment works.  She described her flight suit and explained how it protects the staff from fires.  She even invited the children to sit in the helicopter!

It was awesome!  Here are some pics.

Showing us how the gurney pulls out. 

Nurse Gina is pretty awesome. 

Jonah didn't want to go and didn't want to leave. 

Mason looks grumpy in this pic, but she wasn't.  She really wanted to sit inside the helicopter. 

The pilot's seat (or as my kids say, "The driver's chair.)


Mason is into posing for pics these days.

Family pic.

More posing. 

The airport staircase was a big hit. It's not every day you see a staircase that goes no where. 

While we were checking out the helicopter, this plane landed.  Bonus!  I'd like to learn to fly.


Thank you, Gina Peterson.  We very much enjoyed our tour today.




***Title song:  Unthought Known-Pearl Jam

No comments:

Post a Comment