Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Liars and the Dirty, Dirty Cheats

There is nothing I loathe more than being lied to.  Nothing.  I am an honest person.  Lying isn't a part of my life.  That doesn't mean I walk around saying every thought that comes to my head or that I don't have secrets.  I do manage to keep some things to myself.  But, should you ask, I will tell you the truth.  I will not hold back in order to protect your feelings.  I will trust you to decide for yourself whether it is worth being upset over.

I expect the same.

Why do people lie?  How has it become a part of our nature?

My 7 year old daughter is struggling with telling the truth.  She lies all the time.  If I ask if she's practiced violin or piano, she always says, "yes" even when I know she hasn't.  She makes up stories about other people who've hurt her feelings.  She's even broken things and blamed her brothers.

I understand this is typical kid behavior, but I have no patience for it.  I absolutely will not tolerate lying.  She loses television time when she's caught in a lie.  I wonder what more I can do to prevent the behavior.  I'm thinking about adding chores, but she hasn't really started doing them yet.

What chores do your 7 year old children do?  What punishments do you implement for lying?  Keep in mind, I intend to punish my child.  I do not want to hear about your ridiculous, misguided, raising-an-asshole, redirection principles.  I'm specifically inquiring about punishment.

Shit, I just called kids "assholes" again.  I'll drop another 17 Facebook friends after this post, I'm sure. That's ok.  I'll shake it off.

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, the best punishment for lying always comes later on ... when you blame them for something they actually didn't do. Then later on when you figure it out you get to remind them why you didn't trust them when they said "It wasn't me".
    ~Lainey

    ReplyDelete