Tuesday, December 31, 2013

How on Earth Did I Get so Jaded?

You may not realize, but I am a little cynical (and a wee-bit sarcastic.) It's genetic and possibly one of my finer qualities. Jaded, even. Merriam-Webster defines jaded as "1) fatigued by overwork; exhausted  or 2) made dull, apathetic, or cynical by experience."  The Urban Dictionary has 4 pages of various definitions for jaded.

Jaded.  I'm certainly exhausted.  And overworked. Or maybe I'm just overly stressed. If you've been following my blog, then you know the second definition is dead on. Either way, I accept that I'm jaded.

Cynical people rarely make resolutions. We believe no one ever keeps them and are acutely aware of our own limitations.  However, in these last few months, I've experimented with stepping out of my comfort zones, trying new things, allowing myself to be vulnerable and risking failure. I feel anxiety creeping in as a reveal not one, but 12 resolutions. TWELVE!!!  A runaway train.

I, April, a survival mom (with some issues) hereby resolve to:

1.   Read a book, for personal entertainment, every week.
2.   Become more involved in the good works of my church.
3.   Rid my house (or at least one room) of all clutter.
4.   Learn how to sew.
5.   Accept compliments more graciously.  (Seriously, it feels weird to me.)
6.   Give more praise to my children.
7.   Have one-on-one days with each of my kids at least twice in the new year.
8.   Find more happy things to blog about. (Although my dark posts are far better read.)
9.   Remember the person I used to be and try to see the world through her "glass-half-full eyes" again.
10. Learn as much as I can about Common Core, and do so with an open mind.  (Because honestly, I feel like, "What's the point.  It's just going to change in a few years.  And that attitude doesn't lead to jobs.)
11. Wake up every morning and thank God for the blessings I have in my life (even when they've kept me up most of the night.)
12.  Do whatever it takes to forgive my sister. (This may be a 2, 3 or 10 year resolution, but I'm going to try.)

Whew, I have a lot of work ahead of me.  I look forward to sharing 2014 with you.  Happy New Year, readers.  May you be blessed throughout the year.

(Psst...what are your resolutions?)


No comments:

Post a Comment